Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Vibration and Resonance - Where from?

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 12th July 2012
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 17 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,014 Posts
Re: Vibration and Resonance - Where from?

Wheel bearings :
, front or rear , if theyre gone enough to cause a regular repeating noise you will know it mho.

Ive been thru a few cars and most of the "thrumming" Ive encountered has been due to the wheels/ tyres. them in ,if you get a flat spot on them the odd vibration never goes away.(aside from balancing,alignment etc.

Just for an example .My present car
The original green michelin 65 profile tyres on 15 in steel wheels:Theyre noisy.
Nothing ear shattering but definite thrumming,especially at motorway speeds.
They also have a pat pat.tic tic sound going slowly with the window open.
Ive had this on other cars too ,like there was a small stick lodged in the wheel.

Interestingly my 35 profile tyres on 20" wheels are quieter. Quieter at all speeds and especially noticeable on motorways with a good road surface.
The ride is harsher at low speeds in the sense that you feel and hear a submerged manhole cover more than stamdard.. Less compliance for rapid surface changes at low speed n all that.
Its not like Im gonna write off and say my 35 profile tyres give me an air cushion ride(they dont), your oem 65's are noisy!.
It could be something like: the unsprung weight of the 20" wheels is so much higher that it "damps" tyre noise.

Have all the wheels n tyres been balanced /checked for true,even if steel spare?
I dont see any mention of the tyre from your first post ..the 50p piece one,what happened there?

Since you have already ordered the parts , it doesnt really matter if posters think. your reasoning is right or wrong
Hopefully the rear was out of true/warped n please post away if the problem is corrected.

Currently in coup's garage:
RM III coupe 1.5dci FVT,Audi TT Mk1 ,a bike and too much rubbish.

Last edited by coup; 12th July 2012 at 12:17 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome