Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Electronics - Xenon Headlights - Discussion & how to change out

View Single Post
post #48 of (permalink) Old 9th October 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

I suppose from time to time we all state as fact things we only befieve to be true. I plead guilty.

I stand by what I said about it being a requirement of the construction and use regs (or their e.u. equivalent), and know for a fact that it is a requirement of the SVA test (if you build a kit car), but no, I cannot say that it is a requirement for aftermarket fit hids.

After a search, I came across this paragraph on the website of

Both versions of our HID systems are DOT approved, MOT approved and fully E-compliant in all safety, E.M. emmission and performance specifications. As far as we are aware these are the only HID kits on the market that meet all these requirements.
This makes our kits ROAD LEGAL ; there is a lot of misinformation regarding the legality of HID systems fitted to cars without headlamp power wash and rear axle self levelling ...these are only an E.U. legal requirement on Xenon systems fitted to NEW cars AT THE FACTORY PRODUCTION STAGE .
HID systems fitted as aftermarket accessory DO NOT REQUIRE the car to have power wash or self levelling ; even the DOT get this wrong sometimes .... our expensive lawyers did not ! "

Currently in hidnmine's garage:
2007 Clio DCi Initiale, 2009 Audi A6, and a 2009 Triumph Sprint ST
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome