Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Espace III - Electronics - How to resolve an airbag fault (how to with pics)

View Single Post
post #92 of (permalink) Old 19th July 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Smile Re: Renault Espace III - Electronics - How to resolve an airbag fault (how to with pi

Hi all, this is my first post. Iv been reading all info given and spent hours if not days trying to solve my airbag light which has been lit for 4 years of the six i have owned my espace w reg 2.0l 16v rtx. Thought i would share the results of my experiance with you cos there seems to be a lot of conflicting info in the threads. I have took the seats out and soldered the connections under the seats which seem to be the most common fault but it still stayed on, then bought new computer from ebay which had same number referance but differant letter after it and fitted and the ok light came on and i thought i solved it but the car wouldnt start as i presume the airbag computer has to match the ecu and immobiser. Tried this cos it was cheap to try.
Then i bought a autel md801 code reader which i was unsure if it would read codes, due to the age of the car. I could of gone for the autel fr704 which is cheaper but only does french cars and i thought better to spend more in case i get a differant make and model in future. Plugged the autel in and it gave me 4 codes on the airbag computer which said open circuit on various things that i had looked at, both seat pre tenshioners being 2 of the faults, i then saved the codes to the machine and then deleted the error codes and hay presto my ok light is on for the first time in years. I have read on threads that if you find the fault, ie solder the conectors it should clear the airbag light but i can state otherwise the computer must store them and you must have to go to the renault dealer to clear it.
I hope some of my finding help someone who like me has spent many nights searching how to clear ther airbag fault. I presume mine was the connectors under the seats.
To all you other posters whom i have read your posts, cheers for helping me and hope my findings helps someone
Currently in a7ccd's garage:
2000 renault espace 16v 2.0
The Following User Says Thank You to a7ccd For This Useful Post:
Dave Chappell (17th March 2013)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome