Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Lag II brake issues

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 20th July 2012 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Lag II brake issues

Hi all,
I have a Lag II DCi 1.9 and it has some brake issues.

When I got it, the front left disc was buggered and the car would shudder quite badly under heavy braking. Also, the pedal was quite long and soft in its action.

I replaced the front brake discs and cured the judder, the pads ar brand new.

I bled the front calipers last night, with the ignition off and the feel of the pedal improved but, with the engine running and the hand brake off, if you press the pedal very hard, it feels like the pressure is ebbing away from the system.

As far as I can tell, there are no leaks, though the colour of the fluid in the reservoir is darker than I'd like, but the level if fine.

Is my master cylinder buggered?

It is due the MOT equivalent soon, and this is likely to be the only sticking point.

Should I change the whole cylinder or can I just get a seal kit for it?

Have done this loads of times with bikes, but not with cars. This is the ABS version too.

Currently in Ascalon's garage:
2003 Renault Laguna II 1.9 DCi
  5 Lastest Threads by Ascalon
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Lagina II DCi 1.9 cut off valve seal change Engines rjk1188 3 828 23rd March 2014 01:16 PM
Inlet manifold cleaning sprays Engines madnoel10 7 1625 16th December 2012 05:44 PM
Lag II PhI DCi intermittent diesel preheat light Electronics Ascalon 4 1062 13th September 2012 03:06 PM
Airbag and SERV lights on: Answers Electronics stevekz 2 801 22nd August 2012 11:41 AM
Laguna II cigarette lighter compartment cover Interiors Ascalon 1 912 26th July 2012 10:28 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome