Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic II - Wheels and Tyres - Brake Problems when new

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 2nd October 2005 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to suzanna80
hi ottomon..........
Right here goes, I will explain in non technical terms what was happening.
It all started when I was getting excessive squealing noises from the brakes. One day I had to brake quite suddenly at a slow speed of around 15 mph and I experienced graunching noises from on of the rear discs and the car didnt stop as adequetly as it should, well In actual fact I nearly had an accident. I took to renault who checked brakes and all was fine, after all the car was only 4 months old. They said to keep the discs very clean. I subsequently found out there brake discs are prone to corrosion and dont fair well standing in the driveway for too long. I had this problem intermittedly and had it checked 3 times. Eventually it ended up that when I was braking especially in the last moments before a complete standstill that there was excessive graunching and this did affect braking power (it also turned heads at the traffic lights) renault put it down to all manner of things, stone,debris and road gunge around the discs. In the end someone mentioned a warped disc as it was only occuring on one part of the disc itself. I found the only way to be sure I was going to brake in time in an emergency was to apply and unapply the brakes very quickily or slightly reduce the pressure to the pedal as not to reinact whatever the problem was. Only thing is you do tend to worry the hell outta your passengers when you are braking from 70mph and keep unbraking half way through the sequence.
I never did get to the bottom of this problem, but I did know of someone who had a 04 scenic like me who's brakes completely faulted and they wrote there car off when it correared into a tree. Its obviously some problem with the brake discs themself or the system that controls the EBA EBD or something. This was the only thing we concluded.

Probably not very helpful to you as I havent provided and answer per say.

Good luck in sorting it out.

Ps a good clean of the discs weekly at the least provided some piece of mind.

Currently in suzanna80's garage:
a vauxhall astra sri XP
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome