Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Wiper puller/grabber .. Help!

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 25th July 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Wiper puller/grabber .. Help!

The thread is older, but want to add my bit in case it helps someone in the future.

I've just had a pain with my wiper arms on a 2002 Renault Scenic. Seemed the wiper arms were sezied on, but on constant tries I found there is possibly more than one way to do these.

I used one of them universal wiper arm pullers. The first one broke, so i'm having that returned and refunded.

WD40 went in first and was allowed to seep in, but still it all seemed seized.

I, with another person, tried two man jobbing it, with one person holding the puller arms firmly shut with plumber type plyers, and the other driving down the screw. Didn't budge, still kept slipping and grinding away at the arm.

Anyway, to cut the story short, I put the puller tool on, lined up and screwed it tight so it felt locked, but didn't drive the screw any more. Gave the wiper arm a few very firm sharp hits with a hammer to help shock it loose. Then pulled and wiggled at the puller tool... job done, they lifted free after a few minutes of this.

So, basically, don't always expect that puller tool to work as it looks like it should. Some my come off easy by driving that screw down which pulls the wiper up and off... others may need to be just locked on to the arm, and them shocked my a hammer and pulled and wiggled... eventually you'll get the alignment right and they'll come off.

Phew! Feels good now they are off. I was going to resort to angle grinding the bloody things off and replacing when done.
Currently in loopy66's garage:
2004 Renault Clio 1.2 16v Dynamiqu
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome