Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Brakes binding MOT failure

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 31st July 2012 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Brakes binding MOT failure

Hi i really need some advice here, I have a scenic mk II 2003 53 plate 2.0L petrol and it failed its MOT last week on 'rear brakes binding' and front 'inner CV Gaiters detached' I was quoted 250 for the rear brakes they said i need new discs and pads, and 69 each side for the CV gaiters. They said they are detached and cant be re attached because the rubber has deformed or gone hard. The rear discs do look quite corroded on the outer edge but they don't over heat, they don't smell and they don't seem to be slowing the car down at all. (i haven't jacked it up to see if they spin freely though) As far as the CV gaiters i cant see any problems with them at all they look fine! Maybe I'm missing something I'm not a mechanic but i dont like the idea of being ripped off. I also had advisory's of the under tray obscuring view of components under car! The engine under tray is part of the car and is bolted into place as it should be how can that be an advisory? The wiper was also noted for being too long as it touches the edge of the windscreen. Are these prices about right? and is it likely that the failures are actually bad enough to cause it to fail? I'm tempted to take it to another testing station for another MOT to see what that brings up. Thanks in advance
Currently in 1scenic's garage:
Scenic II privilege 2.0VVT
  5 Lastest Threads by 1scenic
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Brakes binding MOT failure Brakes/Hubs LOZZ 3 3103 31st July 2012 06:15 PM
clunking noise when turning steering at low speed Steering and Suspension lee1255 12 15582 10th September 2009 06:59 PM
Cambelt change on petrol scenic Engines knownClone 12 2967 8th September 2009 08:05 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome