Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 2004 Clio clunk on heavy braking

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 4th August 2012 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
2004 Clio clunk on heavy braking

Hi All, hope someone can help! the GF has a 54 plate clio 1.2 16v, which recently she's complained of having a "weird noise" when she brakes sometimes. I had a drive and under heavy braking there's one or two heavy clunks from the rear of the car. it almost always happens when braking from speeds about 25-30mph, but nothing is heard at speeds below this. It sounds like sticking brakes partially coming on, so today i stripped down the rear shoes to check them. I replaced the rear shoes about 12 months ago so they were clean, but i stripped them down, checked for leaks etc and regreased pivots and shoe touch points on the backplate. the strange thing i notice was the trailing shoe (the rear shoe i think!) is wearing much more than the front leading shoe - couple of mm difference in thickness already. i checked the action of the slave cylinder, and it appears that the trailing shoe piston moves easier than the leading one; when i checked the bore it seems a bit carboned up but nothing serious - no scoring etc. i cleaned everything up and refitted and bled, the action all seems fine and the autoadjusters work - tried again and exactly the same symptoms!

Can anyone make any suggestions? Thanks!
Currently in bigi's garage:
2004 Renault Clio 1.2 16v
  5 Lastest Threads by bigi
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
2004 Clio clunk on heavy braking Brakes/Hubs AL007 4 1095 4th August 2012 09:59 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome