Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Grand Scenic Electronic Handbrake Stripdown Plus Photos

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 6th August 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Smile Re: Grand Scenic Electronic Handbrake Stripdown Plus Photos

God thank you you just saved my Uncle 440 Plus fitting.

Stripped down and removed the cables. one of the cables plastic casings was worn through thus creating rust and friction I have coated in self imagination tape and electrical tape. Other side had a slight kink in the cable and a small amount of plastic missing, I forced grease into the tube with a dash of Spray similar to WD40. just filled the end with grease and kept pulling the cable in and out pouring WD40 from a lid into the plastic inner section now all is moving fine and the handbrake is moving like it should. fitted new pads yesterday due to the fault.

The Problem was the handbrake was stuck off. eg was not pulling the cables. I greased the cables up as best as i could without removing the unit and the handbrake seemed to work until we took it on a test drive then I realised it would not release thus smoking pads and looked like the rear was on fire with the smoke. tryed putting the handbrake on and off pulling the cables seamed to work a bit but still not releasing. hunted all over till i found this thread.

now the cables are moving on all the way and off all the way. but it has a few differences, my unit was glued and would not allow me to remove the case without some force thus i am going to have to silicone the thing back on in the morning and I didnt remove the arms on the calipers after removing the cables loads of time i have got the removal and fitting to a art. LOL. I origonally had the idea of cutting the cables and basically make the car think the handbrake is attatched making the cable have a knot in the end stopping it going all the way in and replacing it with a 1999 standard handbrake all the fitting points and holes are there.

Thank you again, I am going to try and ask the supplier to add me to a list wanting the new cables they should be available soon as the standard megane cables can be bought. this one was a grand scenic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Falcon_II For This Useful Post:
Cardinal Sin (9th August 2012)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome