Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Buyer's Guides - Oil specification by Elf.

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 8th August 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Buyer's Guides - Oil specification by Elf.

Originally Posted by Lagdti View Post
Oil quality has improved almost beyond comprehension in the last few years and I think it has left a few people behind in it's wake.The quality of oil that you use does have a direct effect on the life of your engine but to say that you have never had a head off of any of your cars because of the oil you use is misleading to say the least.
Speaking from the point of view of someone is who is still in touch with modern motor vehicle engineering(independant garage),whenever we do an oil and filter change we always consult the relevant publication on which oil to refill the system with,but manufacturers tend to change their opinions on a regular basis and 'forget' to inform anybody that the oil that once was recommended now shouldn't be used.To say that garages need the revenue from supplying inferior quality oil at high prices is completely insulting to the vast majority of people who work in the motor repair industry(I'll admit that it only takes a few rouges to taint the whole industry but even so....).If we charged our average customer vast amounts of money to do an oil and filter change because we filled their engine with 'quality' engine oil then we would soon go out of business.If a customer is that worried about oil then they will provide their own oil which is absolutely fine.
Service intervals are stretched out not only because the quality of engineering and of oils has improved but because the customer has demanded it and mileages of modern cars have increased considerably.
Along these lines, I'm hoping someone can answer this question for me. What is the recommended service frequency? The service manual I received with my Laguna II says 10000km (6200 miles) or 12 months, whichever comes first. However, a publication I found in the glove box, which I suspect the importer forgot to remove, said 30000 km. Basically it said that due to improvements in lubricant technology and engine design, service frequencies have been able to be reduced, and I certainly believe that to be the case. When I questioned Renault Australia, they denied any knowledge of the latter publication, and were adamant that 10000km was the correct figure.

When I asked them to explain the discrepancy, they said, rather predictably, that it's due to the different driving conditions between Australia and Europe, which is a load of garbage as I use the car only on sealed roads in and around Brisbane.

Unfortunately, the Laguna is a very rare beast here in Australia, so I can't find any reliable independent advice. What is Renault's recommended service frequency? I won't necessarily follow it, as I agree with the comments of the other forum members, but I'd like at least to know what the starting point is.
Currently in spydah's garage:
4 cylinder manual
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome