Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio II - Engines - Removing oil filter

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 17th August 2012
Inveterate Bodger
Nominated 0 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: Renault Clio II - Engines - Removing oil filter

Originally Posted by cpug View Post
I asked the bloke in the motor factors why they fit this type of housing. All the cars I have previously owned have been fitted with the disposable metal can type filter. He said that they do it because it is easier for the main dealer to dispose of the paper elements than the metal cans.
Slightly more environmentally friendly, too. It's one of those strange cases where the "old way" of doing something is actually more ecological than the "new"... the new variety being the fully disposable filter unit. I've got an old general "how to fix your car" book from the late 70s/early 80s and it appears such a thing was unknown at the time... the only kind of oil filter it mentions is the replaceable paper cartridge type! (Along with the method for removing the housing, changing the cart, charging it with fresh oil and putting everything back together...)
Currently in tahrey's garage:
Honda CG125, Scott Voltage MX5, dirt, lots of random bottles and tools, porktastic Clio III DCi, dodgy shelves...
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome