Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How much weight can my car hold

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 18th August 2012
Inveterate Bodger
Nominated 0 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: How much weight can my car hold

I got three, or was it four fairly burly guys plus myself in my old Polo ... and a load of dive gear on the return journey, as for some reason despite their being rugby players they were part of my uni group going to a dive show and the minibus was a no-show.

Didn't seem to be a problem. Car suspensions are made for heavier things than people, though humans can be quite heavy.

(another time, almost a half-tonne of well distributed catalogues for a job...)

The extra weight is about 60 stone - so they're 15 stone each? Much the same situation then. 1 stone is 14 pounds, so 60x14 = 840lb / 2.2 = 380kg

Plus yourself at ...?? kilos?

If you're fairly standard you'll bring it up to 450kg or so overall.

If each of you has only a light bag (5-10kg tops), you'll have a total overall load about the same as what I put in that dub. It might be, legally speaking, slightly overloaded, as small cars tend to have about a 400-450kg maximum payload, but I can't remember if that includes the driver or not. But if you're careful, then you may find there's just a little bit of leeway built in. Certainly, don't go filling the boot with too much heavy gear or fit a roofbox. Get a towbar and trailer instead if you have to.

It will however take off noticeably more slowly, lose a lot of speed on big hills, and handle like a pig, including needing a heavier foot on the brake and a more considered approach to tight bends. Plus your back-seat guys will be crammed in like sardines if they really are that big, and it might start to smell a bit :D

If you're REALLY bothered, break out the owner's manual, find out the maximum permitted payload inclusive of driver (if it only shows kerbweight and GVW, find out if you're included in either/both of those and grab a calculator to take one from the other), and get everyone on the scales, remembering to set them to kilogrammes.
Currently in tahrey's garage:
Honda CG125, Scott Voltage MX5, dirt, lots of random bottles and tools, porktastic Clio III DCi, dodgy shelves...
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome