Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - New Speed Camera's On M6,m60,m62

View Single Post
post #25 of (permalink) Old 11th October 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by selwonk View Post
Very interesting points of view chaps. Nice to hear so many different opinions. Heckler - I'm not sure you're last post has done you many favours unfortunately!
You have to take what I write with a pinch of humour and sarcasm.

If I hadn't have had the good luck to have that error by the DVLA, I'd have put my hands up.. Paid the fine and taken the points. I'm all for accepting responsibility for my actions. The road was clear and the weather was perfect. The road was quite capable of handling higher speeds and the car is a performance one with superior handling and braking.

What bugs me though, is that the current speed limits are based on vastly outdated statistics. 70mph was a huge deal when it was introduced... But back then in the 50-60's cars were vastly inferior to those on the road today. You only have to take stopping distances as an example. 40yrs ago, a car might have taken 300 yards to stop, now it takes 200 yards. Perhaps less on more performance oriented cars. A lot of this is down to more efficient brakes (discs over drums, multi pot calipers, larger brakes and better materials), the fact that ABS is now standard on all new cars in the UK.

The autobhans in Germany show that less restriction on certain parts of motorways does work. It also gives people the opportunity to drive faster safely

Perhaps we shold just start fitting cars with limiters, so no one can ever speed again. Speed does not kill, bad driving does. Going faster in the wrong conditions, when there is more traffic around... not a good idea. Empty road, good conditions... Not a risk to anyone else.

But motorists are an easy target... most of us have no choice but to use cars. I cannot rely on public transport in my town. It's excessively expensive, unreliable and doesn't take me where I want to go when I want to. I have to get at least 2 busses each way at a cost of over 5. Compare that with a diesel car, that will do the trip of 10 miles (both ways) for less than a pound. 25 a week for bus fares (perhaps more as prices have no doubt increased since I used a bus 2yrs ago) or 5lts of diesel at 89.9 per lt... which has dropped 9p a litre in the last few weeks. Even taking into account normal wear and tear, road tax, insurance... Over the cost of a year... It's cheaper to use the car, you can get to work in 10mins, rather than 80 mins... If I want to do something after work, I can drive straight there in minutes, not hrs.
Currently in Heckler's garage:
1993 Renault 19 RT TD & a very modified Mazdaspeed MX6
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome