Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II 1.9Dci - Engines - Hesitation Cured after EGR cleaned

View Single Post
post #237 of (permalink) Old 26th August 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Laguna II 1.9Dci - Engines - Hesitation Cured after EGR cleaned

Bought my 04 Laguna II 1.9 DCI Dynamique at the beginning of July. It drove well on the test drive and to be honest, I haven't really noticed any real problem with it.

The only annoyance was that when travelling at say 65 mph on the motorway using cruise control then putting my foot down to accelerate for overtaking, the revs seemed to go way up with no corresponding increase in speed then the cruise control would drop out.

As the car didn't have any service history, I decided to service it. Replaced air & fuel filters, engine oil & filter change, flush old brake fluid & replace with new etc.

I've read a lot about the EGR valve on the forum and decided to give it a go.

First off, removed the shut off valve and noticed the port in manifold was quite gunged up with one of the channels to the EGR valve almost completely blocked. This was gently scraped out and copiuos amounts of carb cleaner sprayed in to dissolve the stubborn deposits. When this was as clean as I could get it without removing the manifold and the butterfly valve had been cleaned, I tackled the EGR valve.

It wasn't too difficult to remove, needing just a couple of taps to free it off. The carb cleaner down the ports may well have helped here. Once removed, the valve itself wasn't too badly clogged. A good soaking with carb cleaner removed most of the gunk and a light rubbing with 800 wet and dry just to polish the barrel finished the job. The two valve discs were seating nicely so good to go.

A light coating of copper grease before refitting and it all went back together. Now the moment of truth. The car seemed to struggle to start and ran lumpy and cut out. Re-started but still a little lumpy but hit the accelerator and the engine smoothed out then I noticed the 'glow plug / water in the fuel filter' warning light. This was when I thought I had done something wrong or missed something when putting it all back together again. Switched off and restarted and yay, started straight away, running well and no warning light.

Took it on a test run - only 33 miles, a bit of town and some motorway and the car seems more responsive, pulling away from stationary much better with a much perkier response when accelerating. The cherry on the top of the cake is that it seems to return a better MPG than before my mini service. RESULT!

The only thing that I don't really notice though is I don't know if the turbo is actually doing anything. This is my first car with a turbo so don't know what to expect. I don't hear any turbo whine when driving the car but there does seem to be a slight hesitation from depressing the accelerator and the actual acceleration. The speed pickup is quite impressive though. This delay is very slight and I believe it's not a cause for concern.

Without the advice I found here, I wouldn't have had the nerve to attempt the EGR Valve. Prior to getting this car I had been driving company cars so didn't need (and wasn't allowed) to do my own maintenance. The last time I messed around with cars, Ford were still building the Capri

So a big thanks to all those who have offered their advice and experience in this and other threads. I have now rediscovered the joys of working on cars.
Currently in storeman's garage:
No Garage but on the road is a 2004 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCI Dynamique
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome