Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Hello, My Clio and I...

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 1st September 2012 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hello, My Clio and I...

My name's Jason, and I thought I'd fire off a quick post just to introduce myself and to tell you of my plans for my new dogger Clio.

The old girl's a 1.2 T-reg with 130,000 miles on the clock and needs a little work doing.

The good points:

She was 450 but I got her for 350.
She has an 11 month ticket and six months tax.
Body work (apart from a crease in the passenger door) and underside are mint.

Aftermarket alloys with almost new tyres.
Comes with the original steel rims all fitted with brand new Michelin tyres.

A lady owner for the last seven years.
Regular oil , plugs, filters etc changes by the owners Father with all receipts of everything fitted.

A Renault dealer full engine rebuild, with receipts after the cambelt snapped 50,000 miles ago.

A folder full of receipts of work done by a local garage - recent back box, shocks, drive shaft etc.

The bad points:

She's been chaved to fook (I'll post picture tomorrow) - big **** spoked alloys (showing painted red callipers and ickle discs), the sort of Pioneer ICE with a boot full of bass-box and amp, that makes the windows bulge when you crank it up, and a silly little tail gate spoiler (very handy for down force on a 1.2 hatchback).

No cambelt change since the rebuild.

MOT advisories (and other things noted by the mechanic) - headlamp reflectors deteriorating, front discs nearly at minimum thickness, movement noted in the anti-roll bar bushes, the subframe bushes and rear engine mount.

When I took her for a test drive, I noticed the cluch pedal came up high before it engaged and was very sharp. I took her slow up a couple of hills in third, almost to the point of stalling, but I couldn't make the clutch slip.

I'm 42 years old and look like an impossible **** in the 'Chav Mobile'.

Anyhoo - and to paraphrase 'The Bionic Man' - I'm going to rebuild her.

My plan is to do all of the work myself and post pictures and a description (including all the F-words I use) of everything I do on this site.

I'm more than a little 'old school' when it comes to cars - all RWD to be honest, but I know my way around an engine.

My Plan:

1) A full de-chave: The alloys, the ICE and the spoiler are going to go.
2) Do everything required on the MOT advisory
3) Fit a second hand door.
4) Change the clutch if it goes.
5) Change the cam belt.

I hope I can share some of my trials, tribulations and successes with you all, and I'm hoping I can call on you all when (not if) I find myself stuck/and/or with bits left over.

What do you think?

Anyway, it all starts tomorrow when I pick her up...

Many thanks,

PS - I'm a time served Welder, and I'd be more than happy to help any of you out with any welding questions/problems you have.

Currently in GriftyWelder's garage:
Clio 1.2, A 1.8 Vactra, a Slider and an RD125LC YPVS.
  5 Lastest Threads by GriftyWelder
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Hello, My Clio and I... Cars & motoring JObrien 2 750 1st September 2012 07:58 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome