Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Who killed the electric car?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 9th September 2012 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 17 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,014 Posts
Who killed the electric car?

Is apparently a well known book.
Im wondering why it was brought back to life

With the way diesel price is going, I thought Id have a look at fluence ze specs to see if it would be viable for me say in a year or 2.
The reasons: performance is supposed to be similar to a 1.5dci and the fluence is the saloon version of the megane3.

Pros n cons

Range anxiety; A common fear.
For the ze its 100 miles approx
for my present car its like 400 miles at the worst.

Actual performance
acceleration 0-60 or 0-100km hr 13 sec roughly on both if being generous.
Top speed on ze 85mph
Top speed on 1.5dci over 110 mph

Economy..tricky to calculate because of various factors but because of renaults battery lease or rent system.
Lets take a 3 year life cycle(renaults old guarantee period)
Break it down into mpg.

Lets be optimistic and imagine there are charged battery swop stations all over the place and it will take no longer than a diesel fill.

1.5dci 50 mpg
diesel price is around £1.40 pl in UK now?
say £6.40 a gallon.

ze driven like 1.5dci range 90 miles
Full recharge costs say£2.50 per 90 miles .(for now!)
In diesel terms thats like 230 mpg!
Pretty cool ,I want one even if its awkward.
Oh wait the £75 pm.

lets see
9000 miles per year max is what the £75 pm is based on.
9000 miles in the 1.5dci costs £1152 approx in fuel costs.
9000 miles in the ze costs £997 approx at current pricing on home charge and battery lease.

Not really much of a difference and you get a less flexible and certainly slower on top speed car for your money.
If diesel went to £2 a litre (and charging costs didnt go up),there might be more electric mania.

We all know of course3 what would happen if electric motoring did take off.. govt tax revenues would go down.
"Wth guys all these people that used to pay huge tax on fuel are now using night rate electricity! Ban it"..official battery swop stations only.Lets put a £1 never to go up.. , sorry fell off my chair laughing, battery swop tax on for a start.. and so on.

The really great thing about pure electric cars tho is the zero emissions!

For each electric car made some 10% more CO2 is emitted compared to a normal petrol or diesel,mainly to do with battery manufacture(according to wiki)

Well ok so its not eco friendly when being made but what about after!

If 1 million electric vehicles were introduced to germany now(2009)to replace 1 million hydrocarbon powered ones overall CO2 emissions there would be reduced by 0.1%, best case scenario.
Apparently Germany uses a lot of nasty ol coal to generate electricity

Ill keep an eye on the economics,maybe in 2-3 years there will be an electric RS version! with some range.
Right now , nein danke.

Currently in coup's garage:
RM III coupe 1.5dci FVT,Audi TT Mk1 ,a bike and too much rubbish.
  5 Lastest Threads by coup
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Cheese factory explosion in France Jokes & funny stuff coup 0 186 6th July 2016 07:48 AM
Meg 3 fuel flap Electronics A55ii 4 208 1st July 2016 09:11 AM
conflict resolution, zohan method YouTube coup 0 243 8th March 2016 08:26 PM
Our Babs..sorry I missed a couple of o's Jokes & funny stuff Dancingdad 4 308 2nd March 2016 10:12 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome