Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Who killed the electric car?

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10th September 2012 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 17 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,014 Posts
Re: Who killed the electric car?

Sorry I didnt mention any of Vel's comments , but I dont really disagree.
Right now , I lug around extra weight in my car purely for appearance "Bad boys" and the clio version of my car with the same engine is slightly quicker and more economical.
Yep cos its lighter and smaller .

Somethings I didnt mention in connection with wasted energy ,heat and ev range.
These wouldnt be covered in a test drive,naturally enough the +things would be such as the max torque from standstill,linear acceleration,no gearchanges needed ,and braking being used to recharge the battery.
The not so good,and again Im working off a review I read .
In car heating:
The energy wasting water cooled hydrocarbon engine, builds up a resevoir of hot water quickly that can be tapped into for passenger comfort/demisting.

I dont include aircooled engines , cos they suck in that regard
The ze fluence as apparently is stated in the manual gets a range reduction if you use its people warming mechanism. according to the review ,on a cold day range can drop from 75 miles to 60
Thats starting to get a little serious for practical transport.
Course you could allways bundle up warm.

AC: I dont know about on the ze ,but if there is some,I cant see how it would do anything other than reduce range also..
Then again its not a deal breaker in more moderate climates like ours.

What about driving at night on a cold day.Have to use lights + heating and wipers,where does that figure in to the range.
I wouldnt like to be 10 miles from my destination ,having to go to my led sidelights and ,turn off the heating and hope Id make it.

Not everyone would do a 60 mile round trip to work everyday, but many would..
If you have access to charging inbetween 1 30 mile leg and the next,nps.
Otherwise you might have to be really concious of "energy conservation"

Having said all that , the ZOE looks like it could be a good proposition for my mother's next car.
The vast majority of her driving is low load short trips in a day.
The ZOE has nice clio type looks and doesnt look like a smart car/city car + the no gearchange /auto gerchange would be attractive.
She wouldnt go for a twizzy!.
Not having to go to the garage to fill up would be good, then again she gets someone to put the petrol in as it is.
Actually no mentioning that .The plug it in when you get home wouldnt appeal at all, no matter how quick and easy it is. nm

Currently in coup's garage:
RM III coupe 1.5dci FVT,Audi TT Mk1 ,a bike and too much rubbish.

Last edited by coup; 10th September 2012 at 07:37 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome