Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - New Speed Camera's On M6,m60,m62

View Single Post
post #28 of (permalink) Old 12th October 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Public transport will only ever work in this country if they actually start using some of the punitive taxation levied against the motorist to subsidise decent public transport for the masses.

I very rarely use public transport in this country - we used the tube when we were down in London a couple of years ago, and I once caught a bus from the Holiday Inn Bristol to the centre of town, but only because the bus stop was right outside the hotel.

When working abroad, I tend to use it more and am generally a lot more impressed than I am in the UK. Take the underground railway in Lisbon for example - very frequent trains that (in my experience) run on time, and you can go anywhere in the city for 1 Euro (off peak, at least.)

Rail travel in this country is ridiculously expensive. When, in spite of the ludicrous fuel tax, it's still cheaper for a friend of mine to drive from Plymouth to Bristol than to get the train, something must be wrong. When it comes to buses, as Heckler says, there's too much emphasis on profitable routes, and some places don't even have a service to speak of. My dad has retired and can no longer drive - there's one bus out of his village and one bus back every day. I know he's in Wales, but he's also less than 5 minutes off the A55 so he's hardly out in the sticks.

My favourite example was when I lived in Humberside. Okay, this was nearly 20 years ago but it still tickles me. Of a weekend, there was one train for Doncaster in each direction that stopped at our local station. The problem was that if you wanted to go to Doncaster for the day, you had to catch your return train 20 minutes before you arrived.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome