Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Undertray Poll

Thread: Undertray Poll
View Single Post
post #55 of (permalink) Old 20th September 2012
Inveterate Bodger
Nominated 0 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: Undertray Poll

It's there to protect the aux belt? That's possibly one of the stranger arguments I've heard for it. You'd have an engine bay filling up with all kinds of crap other than the usual leaves and particulate clag if that was the worry wouldn't you?

My VW and Vaux didn't have trays, but the Renaults have ... and whilst I did have a belt self-destruct on the VW, I think it was probably just its time to go (the car was about 12 years old with nearly 80k miles on and I don't think the belt had ever been changed)... I certainly hadn't been driving it offroad or over fallen branches etc. No problem on the Vaux which was treated just as roughly

And on all of the cars, the timing belt has been hidden away under a separate cover, protected from whatever the outside world can throw, with only the shaft poking through. Quite how a knackered aux belt would also take out the cambelt...?!

I would have thought it was more to protect the sump and other low hanging parts, reduce noise, and catch the worst of any dripping oil etc?
Currently in tahrey's garage:
Honda CG125, Scott Voltage MX5, dirt, lots of random bottles and tools, porktastic Clio III DCi, dodgy shelves...
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome