Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Clio - Replacement key w/central locking button

View Single Post
post #42 of (permalink) Old 20th September 2012
Inveterate Bodger
Nominated 0 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: Renault - Clio - Replacement key w/central locking button

Originally Posted by JRK View Post
I don't know if I am allowed to mention the name of the company that did the key in Sutton Coldfield.

A bit of advice from me though. The next time you replace a battery and before it falls apart in your hands, take a couple of digital photos of the inside with terminals in position. It will take some of the guesswork out of the job and maybe save some money.
The photo thing is always a good idea ... alas I never seem to remember it myself except when it proves to be unneccessary!

As for the company, as my local stealership is the Sutton one, perhaps you could communicate it in a code or reference to landmarks that only locals would understand?

(SP Renault have actually been generally good in my own limited experience, and they were obviously good enough for my Megane's previous owner to use them for more than 7 years on the trot... and when I needed a new battery, that's what they gave me, for a slightly ludicrous but tolerable 3.50... however the prices they've quoted me for a new key etc are much in line with everyone else's, and I figure they'd much rather offer me a whole new unit rather than just re-cutting the tang on my existing one or whatever, plus their in-house servicing costs are almost certainly well above that of a backstreets mechanic!)

Originally Posted by KeithP View Post
I went in to Timpsons last week and coded keys are 30, as I need IR also they couldn't help, so will have to put up with one key.
Do we think this offer is still on? My key's metal bit is looking rather well worn, and even seems like it's got some kind of chrome or other coating that's peeling off in places, which may be affecting my ability to deactivate the immobiliser (doubly troublesome and hard to diagnose seeing that I can't find the spare key ... if I was ever even given one by the place I bought the car from, as I can't actually remember and might have been meaning to get hold of a second one for so long that I actually forgot to do it). If all that's needed is to replace that bit and connect it up to the PCB inside the key, in order to solve my recent starting woes, then it's well worth it vs a 60 decoder ring or 110 new key which may not even do anything.
Currently in tahrey's garage:
Honda CG125, Scott Voltage MX5, dirt, lots of random bottles and tools, porktastic Clio III DCi, dodgy shelves...
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome