Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - RX4 - has anyone got anything positive to say?

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 26th September 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: RX4 - has anyone got anything positive to say?

Mine was good for the first four years. I learnt all the the special care that they require and applied all that knowledge.
At the age these cars are now I cannot recommend one (there goes my 2nd hand value!).
After the four year period I have suffered every classic fault on this model at least once or more. Add to that the astronomic cost of genuine parts, unavailability of smaller, obvious parts in favour of having to buy massive overkill replacements.
IMHO this car has many design faults that Renault couldn't care less about, where other manufacturers would offer recalls and/or heavily subsidised repairs.

E.g. when the rings on the prop shaft part company with shaft (they always do) you are expected to buy an entire new propshaft assy.
The turbo is a known weak spot, even with all the extra care I'm looking at my second replacement.

My personal clutch problems are OK for the age but others I know have cylinders, clutches and gearboxes fail at very low mileages and FSH.

The exhaust system has no support from the manifold all the way to the rear of the vehicle. This causes the system to sag under its own weight and then fail at the catylitic junction, meaning a new cat!

I'll stop there as it's plenty to be going on with.
Currently in rxphoar's garage:
RX4 1.9dci Now dead, waiting for the scrap heap =(
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome