Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Fire risk - Door mirror control

View Single Post
post #463 of (permalink) Old 29th September 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Scenic - Fire risk - Door mirror control

Are Renault UK likely to repair my car or give me any compensation or am I just wasting my time?

I informed my insurance company of the fire but said I did not wish to make a claim from them at this point until I had spoken to Renault UK as I believe Renault UK are at fault and should pay for the repairs. My Insurance and Renault UK both asked me to take it to a Renault Garage for an estimate and to identify the cause of the fire which I did ( yes I can still drive the car ). So now I have estimate of over 3000 for the repair, but now I am told because the car is uneconomic to repair ( at a Renault dealer) my Insurance has been cancelled ( no refund )and they have instructed a salvage company to collect my vehicle.
To say I am not happy about what they are trying to do is a bit of an understatement! Its the fact that they said (the car is uneconomic to repair) and not that the car is unroadworthy.
They then backtracked and said if I wish to reinsure the car with them I must get another MOT to prove it is safe to drive and will not accept it still has 6 months MOT to go?
To pass an MOT it would only require a new door card ( the plastic trim on the inside of the door ) as this would cover the exposed wires and any sharp edges. Opening windows and electric mirrors are not part of the MOT test.
After cleaning the windows and chipping the molten plastic off the door handle so I can open the door from the inside. MY garage had already agreed it was very smelly but it was safe to drive.
Currently in scenicfire's garage:
Renault Scenic
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome