Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Megane 1 - Clicking Noise From Dashboard On Start Up

View Single Post
post #100 of (permalink) Old 29th September 2012
Nominated 2 Times in 3 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Megane 1 - Clicking Noise From Dashboard On Start Up

Reporting back - 4 weeks have passed and I've learned a lot. Since I'm a perfectionist at heart, I didnt want to buy a replacement motor box as the gears would be either broken already or break some time in the future for sure. So I decided to machine replacement gears from brass ...oh boy, what a huge project just to fix an air recirculation flap .

I had never made any gears before so this took a lot of figuring out. My dad is a precision mechanic and has a very well equipped workshop incl. lathe and milling machine at home. I didnt go for perfect gears with involute teeth, as I didnt want to buy the special cutters needed (I was surprised when I asked my dad and he told me he does not have them ). So I simply used small saw blades on the mill (0.6 and 0.8 mm), cutting the gaps between the teeth with 3 cuts each, giving a simplified but sufficient tooth shape. I lathed down the original plastic gears, removing the broken teeth and making room to mount my replacements.

So today I've put everything together, closed the motor box and mounted it back to the fan unit. And the flap works like a charm - up, down, fresh air, recirculated air, perfect!! In the end I decided not to exchange the resistor as mentioned in my last post. After seeing and hearing the flap in action it was pretty clear the motor power is already close to the minimum required.

So there you go, another possible way to solve this issue. Now I probably own the most durable air recirculation flap motor box on the planet that will outlive the car by decades

If anyone is interested in this quality fix, let me know. I could machine more parts with relatively little effort since I got everything figured out now. Work takes around 6 hours for everything though since its not CNC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gear_parts.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	17284   Click image for larger version

Name:	gears_assembled.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	17285   Click image for larger version

Name:	gears_in_casing.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	17286   Click image for larger version

Name:	gearbox_final.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	17287  
Currently in forlix's garage:
Megane 1.6i (BA0L, 55 kW, A/C, 1998/03)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to forlix For This Useful Post:
Arus (2nd October 2012), Meganitis (31st August 2013), planmeca (2nd October 2012), rki (16th February 2015)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome