Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio II Intermittently Cuts Out While Driving

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 13th October 2006 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Unhappy Clio II Intermittently Cuts Out While Driving

Hi all, my first post here.

My 2002 Clio II 1.4 16v has performed the following stunt on me twice in the last 4 days:

Driving on a straight road, normal city traffic (ie: not motorway driving) and I feel a little "jolt". Funny that...anyway, carry on driving for about 5 seconds, before the rev counter just drops to 0. No warning lights on yet. Try a restart, the engine DOES turn (ie: it's not running!) but doesn't fire. As I brake for the stop street, the warning lights (battery, alternator, power steering, etc) come on and the car dies completely as I come to a complete stop. Attempts to restart fail.

The first time I was prepared to give the car the benefit of the doubt, as it started up after about 15 attempts, but now after the 2nd incident, I'm getting really worried.

Took it to Renault dealership (conveniently located 100 metres down the road from where I broke down the second time) and it started first time (after waiting 30 minutes for a tow truck). They hooked it up to the computer and everything on the electronics read normal.

So they reckon it's a mechanical problem, most likely fuel-delivery system releated. I don't want to p**s away money getting them to "try this and try that" without solving the problem though!

Any ideas
- on what could be causing this?
- how to TEST your theory, since it's an intermittent problem?

Changed the TDC sensor recently to solve hot-starting problems - this worked, but should be unrelated right?
Currently in JetPil0t's garage:
2002 Clio II 1.4 Expression 5-dr
  5 Lastest Threads by JetPil0t
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
II - Can water temperature sensor cause cutting... Heating & cooling madnoel10 7 2255 1st October 2007 02:13 PM
Clio II Intermittently Cuts Out While Driving Clio Horatio 7 5228 13th October 2006 09:42 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome