Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Dodgy MOT?

Thread: Dodgy MOT?
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 9th October 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Dodgy MOT?

Originally Posted by dave_mezza2006 View Post
Ive got to agree with everything that's been said above. Its standard practice to re-do the MOT once the part that caused the fail has been replaced. Hence you get a fail certificate, then a pass certificate.

Also if the same ball joint failed, then its entirely possible that the garage that replaced it the first time used an inferior (cheap) part, and what with the state of today's road would account for it going again within a year.
Indeed - I have an MOT tester who is totally Kosher and does it all by the book. A couple of years ago, he told me the bad news, "It failed", then he told me it was just on the headlight alignment and he fixed it there and then, but certainly didn't charge me for it.

But he did go through the official motions and recorded the fail on the MOT computer, then went and turned the alignment screw a half turn, checked all was ok, then went back to the computer and recorded all was well.

My brother recently went to an MOT tester in the middle of nowhere that charged 20 per test. I told him not to be a ****wad, but he ignored me. He spent more in petrol, and then failed on headlight alignment and windscreen obstruction in drivers A zone or whatever.

They asked 60 to repair. He ****ed off, but asked what was wrong with the windscreen - Oh, he left his satnav sucker on the screen!. The headlamp was out but was easily adjusted but costed at half-hour labour fee 50 and retest fee 10.

Me personally, I stick with MOT testers that will not take the **** (ie. just replace a bulb or align the headlamp while the vehicle is on the equipment for free or cost - even the "evil scum" ****-Fit only charged 3 for a number plate bulb replacement I foolishly missed on my pre-MOT check).

But these 20 jobs, especially with the new rules, they will find anything to fail on and re-test on, and then take their time when you bring it back if you DIY the job yourself.
Currently in vostok's garage:
2005 Megane II Rush 1.4, 2001 Ford Focus 2.0 ESP

Last edited by Gonescenile; 10th October 2012 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Sorry, no naming & shaming !
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome