Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic II handbrake motor unit

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 20th October 2012 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Scenic II handbrake motor unit

Wow, I read an endless stream of non stop garbage about these things!

Here's my experience:

Bought a 2005 Scenic II auto (really cheap), as the handbrake unit wasn't working at all (apparently, it stopped working after he pulled the emergency release) and the MOT was due. I put it in and it failed on one bulb, front brake judder and obviously the completely non functional handbrake.

So, I read the fault codes form it with my Snap On Solus (no, it DOESNT need to go to a dealer), and after many attempts of clearing codes, cleaning connectors, checking fuses and dismantling the motor, I came to the conclusion that there was no fixing it.

However, I also wasn't paying for a new one, so I phone round the scrappies until I found one (not easy).

I also checked ebay - I found 3 - one had the main cable cut (and so is useless - but it's still listed..), one hasn't replied to my question and one wants 250 for it!

Anyway, I found one local-ish for 80 (removed it myself).

Connected it up (battery disconnected, probably not necessary, but better safe than sorry), re-read and cleared any codes, et voila! Fully functional handbrake that will now pass the MOT.

No 'reprogramming' or 'coding' needed - just as two other local scrappies who had sold all of theirs told me would be the case. (One had 8 scenic IIs, all with the handbrake units sold and another had a waiting list for them - I'd have been number 4 on the list).

So DON'T get ripped off with the excuse of a new one needing coding or programming again.

Oh, BTW - if you fit one from a manual to an auto, it will have a permanent code for the clutch switch, and matching 'check parking brake' warning - and it will not auto-release. Likewise, logic dictates that fitting an auto one to a manual may result in similar strange behaviour. I'm happy to put up with that to not give Uncle Arnold 80.
Currently in Ayrshore's garage:
05 Scenic II DCi, 57 Trafic DCi
  5 Lastest Threads by Ayrshore
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
2007 Trafic ABS - DF011 Brakes/Hubs Ayrshore 6 1711 29th October 2015 12:08 PM
Scenic II handbrake motor unit Brakes/Hubs Ayrshore 0 938 20th October 2012 09:37 PM
Scenic II DCi injectors and pump Engines borderhopper 9 3378 27th January 2011 07:18 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome