Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Is it possible to swap innards of door lock?

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 24th October 2012
La sola lupo
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Is it possible to swap innards of door lock?

No i think the spring keyhole cover is in the barrel but you may be able to swap it over(sorry i dont remember, its been a while since ive done it)

The clip on the lever needs to come off, the lever needs to come of and under it i think there is a spring, make a note how it is fitted ( the barrel has a pin and the "casing" has a pin that is what makes the lever move)

Then the hard part, the chrome cover, I worked a small screw driver round and round the seam to gently open it up, try to not distort it to much otherwise you wont be able to close it again afterward ( closed mine with pliers and a small engineers hammer)

Once you have the chrome outer cover off you can insert the key into the barrel and extract it, be carefull not to loose any thing, if i remember correct there are some "tumblers" in the casing as well try not to disturb them ( they are just sort of tensioners)

Then you can remove the smaller chrome cap on the barrel itself and see if you can swap it over.

On mine the pins working the plastic lever broke so i had to change the tumblers.
Currently in Prickleypear's garage:
'85 Renault 11TS, '97 Megane 2lt 8v RXE, '96 Extra 1.9d, '95 Merceds C220, '64 Fordson Supermajor Tractor

Last edited by Prickleypear; 24th October 2012 at 01:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prickleypear For This Useful Post:
xena_wales (24th October 2012)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome