Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane II (2005) Front discs & Pads replacement?

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 24th October 2012
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via Skype™ to SamWoerth
Angry Re: Megane II (2005) Front discs & Pads replacement?

I have been maintaining my own cars for sixty years.
Up to buying Renaults I'd been used to relatively simple jobs, now with my fifth french auto, I'm as cautious as hell. They are complicated, and I'm sure the french engineers design with the 'Number One priority being- Surprise! Surprise!
These cars are a challenge. Take for example brakes , normally when replacing pads, one, with other LESS 'MODERN' cars. You just push back the piston, with for example a G clamp. I've just finished my Megane 04 , full brakes replacement. The rear proved hard to push back, so I stopped and got the Haynes out. Bugger me, Renault requires the fitter to turn the piston (right handed) at the same time pushing it back .
Apparently other modern cars also require this feature, although some might be left handed. As for the rear old pads, these were a mess, full of debris, so no wonder binding caused the MOT failure. Front failed too, MOT sheet declared 1.6 mm thick. BUT that was a load of bull**** - Near 3/16/1/4'' thick - my pads had at least another 10,000 on them. However the MOT garage must make extra cash - quoted 80 . As for the rear
'We'll need to take them off to find out why binding!'
God knows what the bill would have been then. One can only hope they, also had the special tool for rewinding the piston, otherwise a new caliper or at the very least, seals plus mega labour costs would have been added.
It will be retested now, after all, they have me by the 'short & curlers' - however perhaps, it will be free. Or I can sue them for the costs involved caused by their faulty report. Not best pleased then - sadly VOSA only get involved if you do not or have not repaired the vehicle, following the test. But then I need a car at 78.
PS VOSA is the controlling body for MOT stations.
Currently in SamWoerth's garage:
1.6 Megane Saloon MkII 04 - previous MkI - wrote off- back ended
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome