Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic II - Access the resistor pack in 5 mins.

View Single Post
post #266 of (permalink) Old 31st October 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Scenic II - Access the resistor pack in 5 mins.

Same problems as above..infact i was shocked at the number of people who have looked at how to fix a problem that doesnt exist according to Renault customer care.

Rang them after the same issue and got the take it to a dealer who will do a check and then we may contibute to the cost...well sorry but if youve had to redesign a part because it melts then Im not sitting back and taking that.

I contacted my Local MEP (Phil Bennion) who has asked his people to look into the EU law on this.

The long and short of it is theres a directive called 2001/95/EC General Product Safety Directive....This is probably our best avenue. But what we have to do is prove that that this defect is dangerous so if anyone has any proof of fire or something that will help then please contact me and I will forward it to Phil.

Heres the full responce from his office...

2001/95/EC General Product Safety Directive

transposed into UK law in the form of the General Product Safety Regulations 2005 (GPSR),came into force in January 2004. The Competent authority for automotive safety issues is VOSA in the UK.
The directive defines the recall of a defective products by saying that a product on the EU internal market must be recalled if it is "dangerous" .
Definition of dangerous product : any product which does not meet the definition of "safe product"
"safe product" is "any product which, under normal or reasonably foreseeable conditions of use including duration and, where applicable, putting into service, installation and maintenance requirements, does not present any risk or only the minimum risks compatible with the product's use, considered to be acceptable and consistent with a high level of protection for the safety and health of persons, taking into account the following points in particular:
(i) the characteristics of the product, including its composition, packaging, instructions for assembly and, where applicable, for installation and maintenance;
(ii) the effect on other products, where it is reasonably foreseeable that it will be used with other products;
(iii) the presentation of the product, the labelling, any warnings and instructions for its use and disposal and any other indication or information regarding the product;
(iv) the categories of consumers at risk when using the product, in particular children and the elderly.

Also, there is RAPEX, the EU rapid alert system that facilitates the rapid exchange of information between Member States and the Commission on measures taken to prevent or restrict the marketing or use of products posing a serious risk to the health and safety of consumers with the exception of food, pharmaceutical and medical devices, which are covered by other mechanisms.Every Friday, the Commission publishes a weekly overview of the products posing a serious risk as reported by the national authorities (the RAPEX notifications). This weekly overview gives you all information on the product, the possible danger and the measures that were taken by the reporting country.

Whilst regulations are in place and retain primacy in matters of safety, they also provide for the development of Codes of Practice and encourage voluntary actions by manufacturers, producers or suppliers. Therefore, the Codes of Practice provide the manufacturer, producer or supplier with an approved and recognised process to follow when a safety issue is identified and it is these codes on which the UK focuses.

To sum up, EU rules focus more on dangerous products. If there is a defect that is not seen as dangerous, I understand it as if it is more up to voluntary actions by manufacturers (codes of practice and so on).
Currently in wildman's garage:
renault grande scenic
The Following User Says Thank You to wildman For This Useful Post:
allanh (1st November 2012)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome