Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Laguna 2 NSF wheel bearing replaced now ABS fault ?

View Single Post
post #21 of (permalink) Old 1st November 2012
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: Laguna 2 NSF wheel bearing replaced now ABS fault ?

I think I already explained why the speedo can work but the ABS does not.

You can have pulses coming off the wheel sensor, but they may be of poor quality with some missing. The speedo electronics will not worry about a few lost here and there BUT the ABS needs to resolve to about 8 degrees of wheel angle for a quick reactive response and it is continually checking EVERY pulse from the target wheels on all four wheels.

My ABS problems are now gone, so my method and conclusion of a bad target wheel on the new bearing was correct. I will post up my test method which is generic and should in principle work for any vehicle. However, you must do the steps carefully with patience and not skip steps or think you know better.

I understand now how the sensing systems work and applied a test method I worked out from first principles. Although a diagnostics scan gets you on the right wheel to test, even without it you can follow my method on all four wheels and get a good or bad result. Unlike the words spat out by diagnostics (sometimes in French!) which may not be correct, my method shows you if there is a problem and you can choose your own words to describe the fault. If the result is bad on any wheel, the ABS fault light will NEVER go out.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome