Thought I'd get back to you guys about the progress.
Couldn't work on it last weekend and only had a couple of hours this weekend.
I have cleaned the crank (
) sensor which was covered in
after I sprayed the area liberally with maintenance spray. So can't say for certain whether it was dirty enough to cause issues beforehand however, I also gently filed a tiny bit to get the stubborn crud off. This is the second time I have cleaned this, since I did the same when I did the 8v head gasket and couldn't get the damn thing started, so started swapping parts with this one.
Anyway, I also changed the fuel and air filters, cleaned and regapped the plugs (they were last done at least 5K miles ago new). No noticeable difference on the plugs other than no. 1 at the flywheel was sunk in
, the tips were all of perfect colour. Typical for the D4F of this age though, with
leaks round the plugs, must have been there were when I did the valve cover gasket a few weeks back.
All sensors were disconnected, sprayed, pins bents and replugged, apart from the knock sensor, as when I last took the inlet cover off, one of the brittle wires broke at the socket. I've done a temp fix of soldering it back to what remained of the wire at the socket, and taping it. Don't know how long it will last however, it was quick and I will rewire that socket soon.
There are still no codes stored, however it is now a little more difficult to stall when feathering the throttle. I still managed to do it when it was warm though. It hasn't had an issue idling before or after these changes, only occasionally it will stall when slowing to a halt when hot. We'll see how it goes the next week.
I have a CTS to fit which I forgot to do today as I was being hassled to take over looking after our little one so my wife could get an extra hour with her eyes closed but, the connection to the current CTS was loose so just pushed that back on. This may be the issue.
Maybe in the next couple of evenings I will get 20 mins to get my hands dirty again.
Two of the leads dropped their bungs on the plugs, so used a long screw, a bent mini spanner and some mole-grips to retrieve them. That did take an hour but without any long needle grips, this was the best solution I could come up with without removing the inlet cover. I have had to grind one corner off the cover to get that bolt out, those torx bolts are stupid, so have started replacing them with hex bolts which makes more sense when trying to solve throttle issues on the D4F. I'll need to glue one of the sockets back in though, as this has worked loose with one bolt binding, that's if I can find my Tiger Seal, can't for the life of me find the damn tube. Got everything else but the Tiger Seal and I want to mod a new mount I have in the shed too.
I suspect the
leak at the back to be the exhaust manifold studs loose. So will get to those too.
I'll update further over the next week on how it's running. Thanks for the tips.