Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Changing light bulb Clio III* Fixed*

View Single Post
post #39 of (permalink) Old 13th November 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Changing light bulb Clio III* Fixed*

Well, being utterly pig-sick of replacing the dipped beam bulbs (H1) every few months in the Clio III, I have finally "gone for it".

I have purchased Osram Extra Long Life H1 bulbs - hopefully these will last longer than 5 minutes. I got them from GSF - ordered them at 8.30am and they were ready to be picked up at 1.30pm having travelled from Heathrow. (Philips also do a long life one. Have used Bosch and cheap Halfords multiple times in the past.)

I'm now adept at putting in the dipped beam bulbs by squeezing the hand into impossibly badly placed holes - possibly the most damned awkward job in the world that should be as simple as pie.

So as to reduce all possibilities of the bulb touching anything that it shouldn't - I opted to do it as the manual suggests... remove the front bumper.

Using the Haynes manual as 'a guide', because one can't trust it entirely, the bumper was removed in 30 minutes. No need to jack up, just turn the wheels on full lock and the wing inserts can be bent out of the way relatively easily. It's a matter of 6 screws under the car, one on each side, and 4 on top (if my memory serves me right).

Once the bumper is removed, the headlamp units can be removed very easily (4 screws) and the wires disconnected. This then allows you to empty out any dead bulbs that you have dropped into the headlamp unit over the years. The new bulb can be very easily put into the holders - you can see everything that you need to do. And NO fighting to get the off-side rubber cover back over the hole again!!!

Test lights before refitting bumper!

Getting the bumper back on again is relatively easy - just remember to reconnect the single plug to the fog light wiring loom, and tuck the battery drain pipe back.

Job's a good 'un.

Okay, it's 1hr 15 mins for a first attempt - doing it a second time would be a lot quicker. Having the perfect set of tools would make it just that bit quicker. Tools: 10mm socket, small torx bit, screwdriver to lever a few plastic plugs off...

It's not an impossible job, just awkward - Haynes does help just enough to get the job done. (Had tried it on the past with no manual, but failed as didn't know how to take the sides off.)

Worth it? Only if the bulbs last longer!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome