Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 2004 scenic MOT - check emissions

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 22nd November 2012
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,201 Times in 4,712 Posts
Re: 2004 scenic MOT - check emissions

Obviously I need to apologise regarding my comments relating to engine fault lights.

I have contacted an ex-neighbour who is a chief examiner in the goverment MOT centres over here in Northern Ireland and he has gave me some clarification regarding dash warning lights. He says he has lost count of the number of queries he has had in relation to this matter.

In his opinion there has been a lot of hype in the press and many people seem to have misunderstood the rules pertaining to warning lights. He mentioned some motoring organistaions and publications also seem not to have been clear on some aspects but he had to admit that neither were the test centres.

The dash warning lights are not a new separate check but an extension of existing checks.

For instance the brake warning light is an extension of the brake check and for instance and air-bag light is an extension to the seat belt check.
Also an ABS or or ESP warning light is another additon to checking the brakes.
Any misbehaving lights on the dash must relate to any existing chapter or section of the current rules.
I specifically asked about engine fault lights and he states - if the engine meets all other test criteria then the car cannot be failed.

As an added note he did mention that many vehicles with engine warning lights illuminated did tend to fail on emissions.

This information relates purely to the test in Northern Ireland and may not necessarily be the same in other parts of the UK.

Hopefully my comments may help clarify the matter but do not take them as pure gospel as the information given to me was off the record.

Hopefully some other members may be able to contribute to what appears to be a rather grey area at the moment.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome