Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Trafic leaky roof and sides 2001

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 22nd November 2012
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Re: Trafic leaky roof and sides 2001

TBH, because this is as much to do with structural integrity, as it does with maintaining the ability to remain watertight, I would recommend either Tiger Seal (available in white, black, or transparent), or seam sealer (which is normally only available in black or grey).

Both these products are intended for bodywork repairs where you want a durable and long-lasting bond which still retains a degree of suppleness to compensate for the body flexing as the van is driven.

I would be inclined to use a heat gun & chisel to remove the old seals and apply the new seal with a mastic gun, then run your finger along the bead to ensure the seal is as sound as possible.

It will start to dry straight away, but will never actually 'set hard'.

It would be best to do this when the roof is completely dry, so as to ensure the sealant makes as robust and watertight a bond as is possible.

If necessary, it can be primed and painted over a few days later.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
The Following User Says Thank You to VelSatisfied For This Useful Post:
coup (23rd November 2012)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome