Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Laguna II rear break pads/disc/caliper

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 25th November 2012
2002 Laguna 32v
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Laguna II rear break pads/disc/caliper

I fitted new discs today because they were an advisory on the last MOT. Although I don't know why because they appeared to work fine? However upon closer inspection something was not right because both outer pads were only contacting 2/3 of the disc. I dismantled both calipers and found that both inner pads were incorrectly fitted and the pistons were balanced on either 1 or 2 of the pad springs.

Who ever fitted the pads before must have been a total spanner monkey because they'd also left one of the guide pins loose and not put back any of the guide pin seals. They hadn't used any grease on the back of the pads and because the pads went fitted properly there was a gap where water had got in and begun to corrode the piston head. And the brake fluid was in a terrible state. I hate shoddy workmanship.

Anyway I cleaned everything up and re-assembled correctly. Funny thing was the off-side hand brake mechanism was also very stiff compared to the nearside one. Coincidence.

If you want to do this job yourself you will need a 36mm socket and long torque bar to undo the hub nut and 7mm allen key to undo the caliper. Have fun. Pics >

Currently in 2002 Laguna 32v's garage:
2002 Renault Laguna II 3.0L V6
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome