Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Lower arm/shocks advice

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 29th November 2012 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Lower arm/shocks advice

Hey guys,

Not sure where to post this as there doesn't seem to be a specific suspension forum, so apologies if its in the wrong place.

I've had an issue with my nearside front wheel for a short while, and today managed to get it into a garage for an inspection and the results are that I need new shock absorbers, a new lower arm and possibly a new steering rack as it had some play, with out the steering rack, I was looking at a bill of around 351, and a whole lot more with the steering rack

Now, i'm not as green as I am cabbage looking, having always repaired my own cars and I wasn't impressed with this pricing.

According to the mechanic, the oil was gushing out of the shock absorber and covering the brake disc (no mention of new pads..infact he said these were fine!) and the whole lower arm would need replacing, and if the play was still present in the steering rack, then that would need replacing.

So after this, I went to a local motorfactors, and got quoted 10 for a new ball join, around 45 for a new shocker, and even the guy was also dubious about the steering rack, ans its only really ball joins again that would require replacing.

Anyway, on to the actual questions, I've never replaced a shock absorber on a Renault, is it a straight forward job? I was looking at it seems to form the entire base of the strut, or does it pop inside the strut?

the ball join, is it a case of rest the lower arm on an axl stand and beat with hammer till the old one falls out? or is there more to it?

Also, do you guys know of any sites where I can get shockers from? I saw one site selling them at 16 each (just waiting for confirmation from them that its the part for my car) or should I stick to the motor factors? and do shockers need to be done in pairs like springs, or can I simply replace the knackered one? (even though the garage said both, only one side is leaking)

Many thanks in advance

Currently in kevinr's garage:
2000 Renault Laguna
  5 Lastest Threads by kevinr
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Lower arm/shocks advice Brakes/Hubs kevinr 0 558 29th November 2012 03:59 PM
Blower controls Heating & cooling kevinr 3 849 29th October 2012 03:08 PM
Hello all Welcome to RenaultForums HeatherJ 1 412 25th October 2012 08:52 AM
Brake warning light Brakes/Hubs kevinr 4 967 25th October 2012 08:41 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome