Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Megane - Radio And Time Display Bulb Replacement

View Single Post
post #35 of (permalink) Old 3rd December 2012
Nominated 2 Times in 3 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Megane - Radio And Time Display Bulb Replacement

Yeah, "deep pocket" at least for someone who doesn't fix it themselves. I'm sure I could do it but not at these temps and we don't have a garage or anything like that.
I have "Mayo" under the cap, but only now after the car has been sitting in my yard for 3 months and then ran once for a few minutes at 2000 rpm - it wasn't there when I bought it in June and also not after a few weeks of driving. The oil was a long life 10W40 that is now almost watery and at the end of its lifespan since March. Hopefully changing it will improve things a little (thicker oil - less leakage?). At the very least I can then tell with certainty that there is a mixing of oil & water going on and how bad it is.
As for the coolant, it was a little bit acidic - I read that this can be normal aging of the coolant (it was in there 14 years I'm pretty sure, none of the coolant hoses showed signs of removal)... but also it could support the theory of gasket failure since CO2 from the exhaust gas can also make it turn acidic.
I flushed the entire system but there wasn't much dirt coming out. At least nothing was blocked, radiators seem fine, just the hoses have this greasy film on the inside walls.
Currently in forlix's garage:
Megane 1.6i (BA0L, 55 kW, A/C, 1998/03)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome