Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Testing ABS Sensors

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10th December 2012 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Testing ABS Sensors

Hello chaps,

I'm new here, so I hope I've put this in the correct section. I spent some time searching old threads, but couldn't find quite the info I was looking for.

A friend has a 55-reg laguna 2 where the ABS light stays lit after the ignition is turned on. It's intermittent, but does it more often than not.

I'm mechanically competent(ish), but completely unfamiliar with Renaults...

Logically, I'm thinking that it's an electrical fault (rather than a bad signal), because it's failing the self test when the system powers up. I'm not sure if this is right, though? Does the system reset everytime you key off, or does a fault cause the light to remain lit forever more until the car is driven a certain distance after the fault has been fixed?

From searching, I think I need to start by checking:

Brake fluid level
ABS fuse (anyone know where this is located?)
Sensor wires for chaffing
Sensor connectors for cleanliness (Anyone know where these can be found?)
Sensor resistance
Sensor signal (if signal fault suspected)

Have I missed anything? Pad wear indicators?

I'm not sure if it's true, but someone claimed that there was something special about the sensors that meant they could be damaged by testing them with a multimeter. It doesn't sound right, but if anyone could confirm this before I potentially ruin 200 worth of sensors that would be awesome

Any tips or hints most gratefully received

There's also a problem with a wet passenger footwell, but hopefully this is not related (a search for another day).

Currently in Punx0r's garage:
  5 Lastest Threads by Punx0r
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Testing ABS Sensors Brakes/Hubs schteevo 6 3802 10th December 2012 11:25 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome