Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Dreaded Clio bonnet catch failure on my 172

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11th December 2012 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Dreaded Clio bonnet catch failure on my 172

Driving at about 40 mph in my Clio 172 52 reg when the bonnet suddenly flew up and I was lucky to escape unscathed. A quick search on the internet reveals the extent of this problem, of which I was totally unaware. The car was until then unmarked and low mileage (40k).
The bonnet is dented as is the roof but the windscreen is Ok However the bonnet hinges have been stretched causing the bonnet to sit about an inch high. As the car is not worth a great deal I suspect if I claim on my insurance it will be a write off. The roof damage would be particularly difficult and expensive to rectify.
My question is this, how difficult is it to replace these hinges? It loks as if the are attached by 2 bolts and the wings may need to come off, or, when the various brittle wheel arch liners are removed, are the hinge bolts accessible up the side from below. I'm fairly competent at car DIY so the solution would seem to be to replace the bonnet and hinges and live with the dent in the roof. Any suggetsions welcomed.

Thanks in advance. toot.
Currently in tootler's garage:
Clio 172
  5 Lastest Threads by tootler
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Dreaded Clio bonnet catch failure on my 172 Bodywork radioredcat 11 3522 11th December 2012 11:04 AM
Saying hello Welcome to RenaultForums martyboi 3 747 15th December 2009 03:36 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome