Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Clio - Mk 2 - Not running properly

View Single Post
post #22 of (permalink) Old 13th December 2012
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Smile Re: Renault - Clio - Mk 2 - Not running properly

It sound like you might have blown a fuse or have a loose connection on the coil pack connector.
The fuses are under a black cover to the RHS of the battery. You will also find several relays mounted in here. These relays control the fuel pump, injection computer / ignition system, starter motor, etc
The high pitched noise is probably the fuel pump.
You might also hear a clicking noise behind the RHS headlamp area. This is the carbon canister and its control solenoid. This unit recovers fuel vapour from the engine to be re burnt later as part of emission system. It operates for a period of time then turns off.
Have you used a code scanner to point you in the right direction? They do work and sometimes can give some accurate information, but apparently with Renaults some the codes can be different to the fault. This should give some form of indication as to which sensor is either detecting out of spec errors, has gone open circuit or has failed shorted.
As you have experienced, If the engine fault light comes on the car goes into limp mode, It is not always possible to reset the system without either cleaning something (Your Throttle body ) or replacing a component of some sort until the fault is cleared or has been reset with a scanner. Disconnecting the battery does not work for all faults as I have found out recently.
Clio's also suffer from loom problems and poor sensor / relay connections resulting in high resistance joints. This can then give rise to the many problems we have probably all have seen on the forums.

I will post again on problems and progress (Yet to be resolved) with my daughter's Clio MK 2 which is currently running in limp mode and as yet,not fixed.

Hope this helps
Currently in Rosey54's garage:
2003 Clio MK2 1.2 16V
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome