Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio ABS, Break clumpning, help?

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 14th December 2012
Platinum member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 3 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
Re: Clio ABS, Break clumpning, help?

@ rachel123,
The only test in the MOT as far as the ABS is concerned it the operation of the ABS warning light.

As long as the ABS light operates normally during the MOT it will pass.
Normal operation is that the light comes on with the ignition and then goes out either on it's own or when the car is started.

If the light only comes on when you reach 60 -70 mph I see no reason why the car wouldn't pass an MOT test as the only time the wheels will be moving is during the brake roller test and this is at a very low speed so the ABS light wouldn't come on.

Even if the MOT tester were to notice that a reluctor ring was corroded or cracked as far as I understand it he has no powers to fail the car on this item as long as the ABS light has operated as described above. Maybe he could issue an advisory notice for the part.

So if you are stuck and you need to get the car MOT'ed I would say it would be fine with the ABS problem you have described.

However as madnoel has mentioned it would be wise to have the problem looked at as soon as you can.

Please take the time to enter your vehicle details in the "What's current in your garage?" box.

To do this:
Hover over the "TOOLS" tab at the top of the page
> then in the dropdown click on "User Dashboard"
> click on "Edit Your Details" at the top Left hand side.
> scroll down to the "What's current in your garage?" box and enter your vehicle details.
> Once the details are entered scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "Save Changes"

> Done.
Currently in TTT's garage:
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Dynamique Sport Tourer
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome