Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Dreaded Clio bonnet catch failure on my 172

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 15th December 2012 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Dreaded Clio bonnet catch failure on my 172

Just to update; as Velsat observed it was not the hinges but the hinge mountings in the car that were bent and thus they needed pushing back down. I could have taken a lump hammer and a block of woold and battered them back down but that seemed a bit imprecise to say the least.

So what I've done is this. I parked the car in the entrance to my garage (part of the house) and aligned the spot where the hinge bolts to the bonnet with the door frame and steel lintel above. I put a block of wood on the bonnet (to spread the load) and then measured to the frame minus 1/4 of an inch. I cut a piece of 4x2" wood to that length and got a friend to hold it in place vertically on the block of wood on the bonnet while I put a jack under the car on the subframe. I jacked the car up and the hinge was pressed back down approximately in to place on each side. It needed to be pressed down further than correct alignment because it sprang back up to a degree. It's not precisely right but I'll adjust again when I get a replacement bonnet to try. If the hinges get pressed too far down I can always shim the bonnet up slightly with some washers. I thought I'd post this in case anyone else has the same problem with raised hinges. It's probably never going to be precisely right but it's already a lot better than it was.

I've also very luckily managed to source a black 172 bonnet which will be with me next week or later depending on the post.
Currently in tootler's garage:
Clio 172
The Following User Says Thank You to tootler For This Useful Post:
VelSatisfied (15th December 2012)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome