Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Opinions on buying a 1.5 dci Scenic with high miles.

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 23rd December 2012
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Re: Opinions on buying a 1.5 dci Scenic with high miles.

I would be looking for signs of 'abuse' rather than 'wear & tear'.

If the car has spent its life on motorways & dual carriageways, then it is much less likely to have been given a thorough working over, compared with in-town driving.

Was it a taxi/airport transport vehicle? (I'd check the V5) - not a 'bad thing' as such, but looking at wear on all the seatbelts will give an indication as to how many miles were covered solo (or with a car full).

2 good things about buying a car like this;

1/ you know it has been reliable
2/ it's unlikely to have been clocked

If your annual mileage is likely to be lower than average, I would go for it without hesitation, as the depreciation will even itself out in your favour. However, if you are likely to be doing a high annual mileage yourself, then the depreciation will be quite sharp when you come to trade it in.

As long as the car is straight, the condition appropriate for the age (rather than the mileage), the paperwork is in order and you get a full mot & decent warranty - then it sounds pretty good.

Try to negotiate a service into the deal, if they won't do a discount - car should be on it's 3rd cambelt - ensure it's been changed (along with the water pump).

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
The Following User Says Thank You to VelSatisfied For This Useful Post:
denny james (23rd December 2012)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome