Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Interiors - Electric Window Problems - Regulator Repairs

View Single Post
post #109 of (permalink) Old 16th October 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I recently had problems with both front window regulators on my 02 Laguna 1.9 dci. Initially both windows used to squeal when operating especially when it was hot outside. Then the front pax side jammed and after much effort I managed to get it back up. I decided to investigate the problem after buying a suitable set of torx drive keys on Ebay to enable me to remove the door card. I discovered that the cables had corroded and some of the cable strands had broken which were causing the jamming. The reason for the squealing is the rusty water drying out in the lower Bowden cables. I then priced a new regulator - 300 + labour!! so I put it on the long finger. Then one morning after swiping my access card at my work car park the drivers side cable snapped. I had to get a regulator immediately and my mechanic friend got me one for 287 and I fitted it myself in about 20 minutes. Before fitting it I modified it slightly with a plastic shroud for the cable spool made from the top of a 'Vanish' spray tin. I also greased the cable liberally making sure that there was plenty of grease in the Bowden cable where moisture/condensation from the window can accumulate. On removal of the old regulator I decided that it would be a simple matter to repair the passenger side. I purchased 2 lengths of bicycle cable from my local bicycle shop for 4. I cut the cables to the exact length by measuring the old cables. I had a friend of mine swage on suitable fittings in his workshop. I refitted the refurbished Bowden cables to the regulator using digital pictures that taken prior to disassembly. Note: you must ensure that the 2 tensioning springs at the bottom must not be overly corroded or they may fail later. These tension springs caused me the biggest headache when refitting the cables until I discovered on old pair of circlip pliers which made the job of refitting the bowden cables a doddle. So I had one regulator refurbished for 4!!! Note: make sure you support the glass or get help during these operations as it is very easy to drop it and break it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec 050005a.JPG
Views:	487
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1435  
Currently in ARIESTC's garage:
2002 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi

Last edited by ARIESTC; 16th October 2006 at 07:56 PM. Reason: trying to attach photo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome