Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2003 - Engines - Loss of power and Warning Light

View Single Post
post #260 of (permalink) Old 2nd January 2013
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Smile Re: Renault Clio 2003 - Engines - Loss of power and Warning Light

Originally Posted by sixteen_valve_vanessa View Post
Hello - first post. I've had a trawl through the forums and found similar questions but can't find one that matches my own problem.

Basically what happens is that I am driving along and all of a sudden my clio (03 Clio Expression 1.2 16v) dramatically loses power and acceleration. When this happens the electronic fault warning light comes on on my dashboard. (The one with a jagged line and a 'squiggle' beneath it!)Because my maximum speed drops to about 30 mph I have to limp to a layby or the next set of traffic lights and turn the car off and on again. This always seems to clear the problem... until the next time it occurs.

I took it to a garage who hooked my car up to a system which is (supposedly) able to diagnose the fault. They said that it was a problem either with the throttle potentiometer or another little switch. So I spent 120 quid having this diagnosis done and these two components changed. Guess what? It still happens!

I have had the car for a year, it has 63k miles on the clock and this fault has been occurring intemittently for about 4 months. Unfortunately it has been happening more and more recently such that it happens pretty much every journey I make now.

Its bloody annoying and actually pretty dangerous as it seems to happen without warning. Any advice gratefully received!

PS My car is blue if that makes a difference.
Hi i had the same problem with a CLIO i had a choice of 2 fixes, Mine where the sensor on the accelerator pedal or replace the sensor on the carburetor , I went to scrapyards online bought a 2nd hand pedal 1st as its the easiest to fit and only cost me 10, It did not work but i get to keep the pedal just in case , Went back to same site and bought a 2nd hand carburetor with a sensor it cost me 60 , My car has worked perfect since i got the carburetor fitted ,When you go to scrapyards online if you put in a mobile number you will be called within 15 minutes i found it easier to just leave email , I got 7 replies prices ranging from 45 to 120 i called each scrapyard as i was looking for a Clio spare part that was hopefully the newest reg to my car ,You get 90 day guarantee usually with all parts , I have no connection with P R SERVICES ( KENT ) 01892 72446 but after speaking to one o the guys i found he done everything to help , Just in the last 2 weeks my friend had the same problem but he was really unlucky his pedal and carburetor both went he got both replaced or 85 my local garage only charges 15 to put the car on computer, HOPE THIS HELPS,
Currently in lindalo56's garage:
Renault clio 11
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome