Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - * solved* Laguna 2 Weird Knocking

View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 8th January 2013 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Laguna 2 Weird Knocking

To paint the picture for want of a better phrase, the car developed a knock/bang/rattle, the rear bushes were replaced and the bang/knock was gone, but after a couple of days the rattle/knock returned, but different this time. Not a firm knock/bang but more of a loose sound.

Both myself and the garage were sure it was the exhaust loose and banging on the underside when going over bumps etc... so new exhaust hangers were fitted, but the noise remained.

Yesterday the mechanic who has been working on my car took it to one of his friends garages, where a different mechanic had a look.

My mechanic explained the problem and his friend had a look and could find nothing obvious, both are certified MOT testers and both would pass my car.

So nothing wrong was found, so they took it out for a test drive and both heard the noise.

The car got put up on a ramp where upon they man handle the exhaust to the limits of its movement and could not get it to hit anything.

So they stuck a heelbar under the wheels and could get no noise, they tried twisting the wheels and there was no movement, they've had pry bars in the springs and where they could get one and everything appears solid.

The car came back to original garage where they put it up on the ramp, lowered the rear suspension without taking it off and checked all the bolts and fastenings all of which were tight.

As I've written in other replies, 4 mechanics have heard the noise, know something is not right and all agree where the noise is coming from but none can find a fault.
Currently in Khamelion's garage:
2002 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Dynamique
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome