Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio Front Brakes and Reluctor Ring Replacement

View Single Post
post #25 of (permalink) Old 8th January 2013
Martin Connolly
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Clio Front Brakes and Reluctor Ring Replacement

Thanks for the great advice. Being a bit of a novice with things like this, I struggled through with a bit of help. Here's some tips people might find helpful. On my Clio, the disks and pads had recently been changed, so I wasn't going to replace them. I didn't want to drill out the torx screws holding the discs, but they wouldn't budge. This doesn't matter - you can remove the disc and hub complete to save you destroying the screws trying to remove them.

The torx screw holding the ABS sensor was equally stuck, but there's enough slack to not need to remove it...if you also have to....

The two 18mm nuts and bolts attaching the lower wishbone were a nightmare. The further I undid them the tighter they got - to the point where I was seriously thinking I was going to strip the threads or shear the heads off. However, I ended up with enough slack to remove the hub/disc assembly from the driveshaft.

Bingo, I could now replace the reluctor ring!

Mine didn't go on quite straight and you could see it 'wobble' slightly as the drive shaft turned, but it was good enough and the new one now works fine.

If you're a novice like me, make sure you put things back together really carefully!
Currently in Martin Connolly's garage:
2003 Clio

Last edited by Martin Connolly; 8th January 2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: typos!
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome