Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic II handbrake module

View Single Post
post #25 of (permalink) Old 26th January 2013
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Scenic II handbrake module

Hi, like most of you I have a problem with my hand brake.

The scenario...

Two weeks ago my car went in for an MOT and failed due to sticking rear brakes. I never noticed this prior to the MOT but hey, you dont always pick up on these things. Anyway they fixed it. Later that week I sent the car back to the garage to get the air-con recharged & the heater blower resistor replaced. when they delivered the car back the parking brake warning light was on, but the brakes were functioning as intended. By the time I drove home the warning lights were off (this isn't the first time this has happened so I wast that bothered). The next evening I had the car up on ramps and I fitted a new reverse light switch to the gear box. When I reversed the car off the ramps it all seamed fine but after I removed the ramps and then went to move the car back onto my drive way the automatic hand brake refused to release as I tried to move forward. Now I can put the car in reverse and the hand brake releases as normal, and I can use the handle to manually engage or release the brake (warning light comes on). The motor obviously works but it just will not release the break when trying to move forward. I went back to the garage and they had a look and said it could be the cables going to the handbrake motor, so they changed them.... This made no difference.

The questions...
1. Is it possible that the reverse switch may have something to do with this?
2. I believe that the accelerator and clutch sensors tell the handbrake when to disengage, could the problem be there?
3. If I have to change the electronic brake mechanism and I buy a used second hand one, will I still need to take it to renault to be reprogrammed before it will function?

The car is a Renault Scenic 2005 1.6 16VVT Expression.

Thanks In Advance
Currently in Dylanh's garage:
Renault Scenic Expresion 1.6 2005
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome