Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Changing light bulb Clio III* Fixed*

View Single Post
post #41 of (permalink) Old 1st February 2013
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 16
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Changing light bulb Clio III* Fixed*

Well Smudgystatistic, I tried the battery removal method - and I have huge admiration for you for managing it in 20 minutes! I found it much more awkward than anticipated, mainly because everything is so jammed in.
Taking the battery covers off and disconnecting the battery was no problem. The smallish fusebox at the front of the battery compartment was a bit awkward, especially the cable with the 10mm nut on the right hand side. It didn't have a lot of upward 'give', so was hard to get it off its threaded post. In the end I got a shortish length of thin electrical cable which happened to be floating around in my socket set (knew it would come in useful one day!), looped it under the end of the cable connector and heaved it up and off the post. Did similar when refitting too.
I couldn't make anything like enough room just by moving the battery compartment aside (in fact it didn't really move aside at all) so I unclipped the sides from the base and squeezed it past the fuse box at the front and out altogether. I also took the plastic cover off the little electricals box to the right of the battery compartment, directly behind the back of the headlight, which only gave a bit more room but didn't take long (two smallish Torx screws).
What I did learn was that you need to fit the new bulb in its place, then clip up the wire retaining clip, then reattach the electrical connector, in that order. May seem obvious but not to everyone. It was definitely easier with the battery out of the way - no lost skin - but it did seem like a hell of a palaver just for a bulb. Also, the battery retaining clamp was a pig to refit, as it had to be manoeuvred down the narrow gap between battery and the front of the compartment. Very awkward. I ended up using a long, thin screwdriver to locate the bolt hole of the clamp over its hole, then used a couple of pieces of thick wire, bent a little at the ends, to fiddle the clamp into place before lowering the bolt into place with a pair of long-nosed pliers, then socket and bar to tighten.
I might try the bumper removal method next time, just to compare. Probably won't take me much longer.
I took a few photos as I worked, in case they were useful to anyone, but am unable to upload them for some reason. If anyone wants them, I can email. Just drop me a pm.
Currently in brian62c's garage:
2008 Clio 1.5 diesel
brian62c is offline  
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome