Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Espace III Brakes

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 5th February 2013 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Unhappy Espace III Brakes

Hi there. Any assistance much appreciated guys, cheers.

2000 Espace III. A brake cylinder was leaking on rear (drum) so I have replaced both cylinders and shoes (both sides). I am not sure if the master cylinder ran down too low (warning light came on so I topped it up) but since fitting the new bits I have tried to bleed the system. Had somebody pumping the pedal while I released the air on the rear of the cylinders. Did this 3 or 4 times.

Thought that this would do the trick, however, the brakes are only about 50%, feel really spongy and you need to press the pedal twice in order to get any real resistance from the brakes.

What should I do next? Have I bled the system enough or should I keep topping up the master cylinder and bleeding a little longer.

One thing I have noted is that if I pump the pedal without the engine running it becomes really firm after 2 pumps. However, with the engine running, when I pump the brake it becomes stiff after the 2nd or 3rd push but when I keep the pressure on the pedal slowly goes down to the floor - any ideas why this should be.

Also, now the handbrake lever travels fully up whereas before it only went up 5 or 6 clicks. I understand that there is an adjuster between the shoes. What is the best way to adjust this?

As above, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Currently in telvis's garage:
renault espace
  5 Lastest Threads by telvis
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Grand Espace III 2.2td Wiring Under Bonnet Electronics telvis 1 600 16th July 2013 06:46 PM
Espace 2.2 DT -v- Espace 2.2 DCi Engines telvis 5 1664 12th March 2013 09:38 PM
Espace III Brakes Brakes/Hubs madnoel10 7 1355 5th February 2013 09:58 AM
Changed battery - difficult to start Electronics coup 1 697 7th May 2012 03:01 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome